Links & Downloads
Man. Ther., Posturology Rehabil. J. 2017; 15
10.17784/mtprehabjournal.2017.15.456 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.17784/mtprehabjournal.2017.15.456
Abstract:Introduction: low back pain (LBP) is characterized by pain in the region between the last costal arches and the gluteal fold. It can occur due to several intrinsic and extrinsic factors, and it has a very high prevalence in adulthood, causing several problems which directly influence the quality of life. Neurosensory Postural Therapy (NPT) is a technique which uses manual neural stimulation to adjust muscle tone. Objective: The aim of the present study was to verify the effects of NPT on pain, mobility, flexibility, functionality, cardiac variability and body oscillation. Methodology: Seven women over 20 years old were recruited, which were evaluated before and after the technique, which consisted of pressure on the upper and lower roots of the sciatic nerve at 3 points for 60 seconds. Results: The mean pain score was 2.71 ± 1.38 and 1.35 ± 1.18, with a value of p = 0.02. For the Schöber test we obtained a mean of 21.93 ± 1.36 and 22.34 ± 1.30 cm in the pre- and post-test with p=0.01. No statistical difference was found in the Rolland Morris questionnaire. The electromyography obtained statistical difference in the analysis of the gluteus medius with p=0.02. Significant results (p=0.0001) were found in the lateral evaluation by the stabilometry and the HF/LF ratio showed difference with p=0.03 in the pretest and after 30 days. Conclusion: The technique of NPT has benefits in the parameters studies, demonstration being a fast technique with period of efficiency.
Keywords:Pain, Flexibility, Muscle Activation, Cardiac Variability.
1. Imamura ST, Kaziyama HHS, Imamura M. Lombalgia. Rev Med. 2001;80(2):375-90.
2. Rodrigues ST, De Oliveira JQ, De Matos LK. Effects of pilates method in LBP. Ter Man. 2014;12:392-99.
3. Gagey PM, Weber B. Posturologie. Régulation, dérèglements de la station debout. Paris: Ed Masson; 1999.
4. Chou R, Qaseem A, Snow V, Casey D, Cross TJR, Shekelle P, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of LBP: a joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:478-91.
5. Villeneuve P. Dysfonctions neurales, algies posturales et neurostimulations manuelles. Apport du traitement manuel neural dans la douleur chronique. Clinique et traitement, Méthodologie illustrée avec le nerf fibulaire profound. La Rev de l’ost. 2012;42:35-42.
6. Ray B, D’Souza AS, Saxena A, Nayak D, Sushman RK, Shetty P, et al. Morphology of the superior gluteal nerve: a study in adult human cadavers. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2013; 114:409-12.
7. Standring S. Gray’s anatomy. 40th ed. England. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008.
8. Ling ZX, Kumar VP. The course of the inferior gluteal nerve in the posterior approach to the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:1580-3.
9. Goertz CM, Pohlman KA, Vining RD, Brantingham JW, Long CR. Patientcentered outcomes of high-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulation for LBP: a systematic review. J Electr and Kinesiol. 2012;22(5):670-91.
10. Macedo RB. Quality of life, school backpack weight, and nonspecific LBP in children and adolescents.J Ped. 2015;91(3):263-9. [Versão em Português].
11. Barboza NM, Floriano EN, Motter BL, Silva FCD, Santos SMS. Efetividade da fisioterapia associada à dança em idosos saudáveis: ensaio clínico aleatório. Rev Bras Geriat e Geront. 2014;17(1):87-98.
12. Nusbaum L, Natour J, Ferraz MB, Goldenberg J. Translation, adaptation and validation of the roland-morris questionnaire - Brazil rolandmorris. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2001;34:203-10.
13. Politti F, Palomari ET, Furtado R. Análise eletromiográfica e da força do músculo deltóide em indivíduos com síndrome do impacto do ombro. Fisiot e Pesq. 2006;13(3): 24-33.
14. Bizzo G, Guillet N, Patat A, Gagey PM. Specifications for building a vertical force platform designed for clinical stabilometry. Med Biol Eng Comput. 1985;423:74-476.
15. Kapteyn TS, Bles W, Njiokiktjien CH, Kodde L, Massen CH, Mol JMF. Standardization in platform stabilometry being a part of posturography. Agressologie. 1983;24:321–6.
16. Scoppa F, Capra R, Gallamini M, Shiffer R. Clinical stabilometry standardization: basic definitions – acquisition interval – sampling frequency. Gait Posture. 2013;37: 290-2.
17. Kerppers II, Arisawa EAL, Oliveira LVF, Sampaio LMM, Oliveira CS. Heart rate variability in individuals with cerebral palsy. Arch Med Sci. 2009;5(1):45-50.
18. Vanderlei LCM, Silva RA, Pastre CM, Azevedo FM, Godoy MF. Comparison of the Polar S810i monitor and the ECG for the analysis of heart rate variability in the time and frequency domains. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2008;41(10):854-9.
19. Dos Santos CF, Domingues CA. Avaliação pré e pós-mobilização neural para ganho de ADM em flexão do quadril por meio do alongamento dos isquiotibiais. ConScientiae Saúde. 2008;7(4):487-95.
20. Bertolini GRF, Silva TC, Trindade DL, Ciena AP, Carvalho AR. Neural mobilization and static stretching in an experimental sciatica model: an experimental study. Rev Bras Fisioter. 2009;3(6):493-8.
21. Sohn MK, Lee SS, Song HT. Effects of acute LBP on postural control. Ann Rehabil Med. 2013;37(1):17-25.
22. Machado GF, Bigolin SE. Estudo comparativo de casos entre a mobilização neural e um programa de alongamento muscular em lombálgicos crônicos. Fisioter Mov. 2010; 3(4):545-54.
23. Véras LST, Vale RGS, De Mello DB, De Castro JAF, Lima V, Trott A, et al. Electromyography function, disability degree, and pain in leprosy patients undergoing neural mobilization treatment. Rev Socied Bras Med Tropic. 2012;45(1):83-8.
24. Pinto FM, Bacelar SC, Da Silva LB, Bertoni G, Knoplich J, Dantas EHM. Reeducação Dinâmica Muscular no Equilíbrio Postural e na redução da lombalgia em trabalhadores industriais. Mundo Saúde. 2010;34(2):92-199.
25. Gockel M, Lindholm H, Niemistö L, Hurri H. Perceived disability but not pain is connected with autonomic nervous function among patients with chronic LBP. J. Rehabil Med. 2008;40:355-8.
26. Mostoufi SM, Afari N, Ahumada SM, Reis V, Wetherell JL. Health and distress predictors of heart rate variability in fibromyalgia and other forms of chronic pain. J. Psychosom Res. 2012;72(1):39-44
27. Stefane T, Santos AM, Marinovic A, Hortense P. Chronic LBP: pain intensity, disability and quality of life. Acta Paul Enferm. 2013;26(1):14-20.