Effects of Kinesio Taping ® on range of motion and shoulder pain relief in mastectomy patients.
Rêgo, Ludmila Martins de F.; Revoredo, Myrza Maria Paiva; Basilio, Francine Batista; Silva, Rodrigo Marcel Valentim da; Lins, Caio Alano de Almeida
Introduction: Owing to the surgery of breast cancer, post-surgery healing can evolve with functional alterations, such as pain, decreasing of movement breadth and other alterations that can occur on the homolateral shoulder of surgery. Within this prospect, one proposes the Kinesio Taping ® method as a new resource in physiotherapy area that might be used as coadjuvant treatment of mastectomized patients. Objective: Analysis of the effect of Kinesio Taping ® method in relation with pain relief and increase of the breadth of homolateral shoulder movement from mastectomized patients. Method: Bibliographic review was fulfilled from data bases such as LILACS, PubMed, SciELO, MEDLINE, academic Google, besides other sites and books. Researched period ranged from 2000 to 2014. Results: The results of the researched works indicate that Kinesio taping ® method is effective in the treatment of algic complaints and of increase of movement breadth in pathologies like tendinitis at the rotator cuff and syndrome of shoulder impact. None of the cited studies were realized in mastectomized patients. Conclusion: The mechanisms wherein functional bandage could aid over shoulder performance of mactetomized patients are not clear because there are not any study that proves the effectiveness of Kinesio Taping ® method over this type of treatment to the date.
1 Osterhues D. The use of Kinesio Taping in the management of traumatic patella dislocation. A case study. Physiother Theory Pract. 2004;20:26727-0.
2 Kneeshaw D. Shoulder taping in the clinical setting. Journal of bodywork and movement therapies. 2002;6(1):2-8.
3 Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical therapeutic aplications of the Kinesio Taping Method. (2nd edition). Kinesio Taping Association. 2003.
4. Thelen MD, James AD, Paul D. Stoneman. The clinical efficacy of kinesio tape for shoulder pain: a randomized, double-blinded, clinical trial. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2008;38(7):389-395.
5. Melzack R, Wall PD. Pain mechanisms: a new theory. Science. 1965;150(3699):971-979.
6. HALSETH T; MCCHESNEY JW; DEBELISO M; VAUGHN R; LIEN J. The effects of Kinesio taping on proprioception at the ankle. J Sports SciMed. 2004;3:1-7.
7. MACGREGOR K; GERLACH S; MELLOR R; HODGES PW. Cutaneous stimulation from patella tape causes a differential increase in vasti muscle activity in people with patellofemoral pain. J Orthop Res. 2005; 23:3513-58.
8. PANOBIANCO MS, MAMEDE MV. Complicações e intercorrências associadas ao edema de braço nos três primeiros meses pós mastectomia. Rev Latino-am Enfermagem. 2002 Jul-Ago; 10(4):544-51.
9. BASILIO FB, DOS ANJOS RDMM, DE MEDEIROS EP, DE MELO EMF, DA SILVA RMV. Effects of manual therapy techniques in the treatment of pain in post mastectomy patients: systematic review. Manual Therapy, Posturology & Rehabilitation Journal 12.x (2014): 196-201.
10. COOLS AM; WITVROUW EE; DANNEELS LA, et al. Does taping influence electromyographic Muscle activity in the scapular rotators in healthy shoulders? Manual Ther. 2002; 7:15416-2.
11. HSU Y; CHEN W; LIN H; WENDY TJ; WANG WTJ.; SHIH Y. The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome.Journal of Electromyografhy and Kinesiology, 2009.
12. KAYA E; ZINNUROGLU M; TUGCU I. Kinesio taping compared to physical therapy modalities for the treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome. ClinRheumatol (2011) 30:20120-7.
13. MILLER, PETER, and Peter OSMOTHERLY. “Does scapula taping facilitate recovery for shoulder impingement symptoms? A pilot randomized controlled trial.” Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy 17.1 (2009): 6E-13E.
14. BREGAGNOL RK; DIAS AS. Alterações Funcionais em Mulheres Submetidas à Cirurgia de Mama com Linfadenectomia Axilar Total. Revista Brasileira de Cancerologia 2010; 56(1): 25-33.
15. GODOY JMP; BRAILE DM; GODOY MFG. Bandagem Co- adesiva e de Baixa Elasticidade no Tratamento do Linfedema. Rev. Angiol. CirVasc 2003 ; 12(3): 878-9.
16. SILVA MD; RETT MT; MENDONÇA ACR; JÚNIOR WMS; PRADO VM; SANTANA JMS. Qualidade de Vida e Movimento do Ombro no Pós-Operatório de Câncer de Mama: um Enfoque da Fisioterapia. Revista Brasileira de Cancerologia 2013; 59(3): 419-426.
17. SOUSA E; CARVALHO FN; BERGMANN A; FABRO EAN; DIAS RA; KOIFMAN RJ. Funcionalidade de Membro Superior em Mulheres Submetidas ao Tratamento do Câncer de Mama. Revista Brasileira de Cancerologia 2013; 59(3): 40941-7.