Investigation of traumatic orthopedic injuries in rugby players of Maranhão.
Rodrigues, Kilza Conceição; Silva, Camila Garcia; Silva, Fabiano Fernandes da; Mangueira, Nilton Maciel; Souza, Renato Aparecido de
Introduction: Rugby is a sport that is growing in popularity worldwide. However, there are still a limited number of investigations on trauma-orthopedic injuries related to this sportive practice. Objective: Investigate traumatic orthopedic injuries in rugby players of Maranhense Association of Rugby (AMARU) occurred in the first half of 2013. Method: 22 players were interviewed using a semi-structured questionnaire with 11 questions that addressed, among other issues, the ones related to the type and body region of injury, as well as the demographic of players. The design research meets the characteristics of a cross-sectional study of a descriptive nature. Results: Approximately 50% of rugby players of AMARU reported some trauma-orthopedic. These injuries are primarily associated with the training situation, especially the tackle. Injuries around the shoulder, knee and ankle are the most common. Muscle injury type distention was reported in 50% of players. Finally, in the opinion of the players, the condition of the pitch is the main extrinsic factor that causes injury. Conclusion: Information about trauma and orthopedic injuries of amateur athletes and encourage preventive and traininf measures for increasing the popularity of this sport grow in our country. From the findings of this study, AMARU can better guide their actions for favoring rugby practice in the state of Maranhão mainly from the perspective of health promotion and social inclusion.
1. Confederação Brasileira de Rugby. O rugby. São Paulo; 2010 [cited 2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.brasilrugby.com.br/.
2. Duthie G, Pyne D, Hooper S. Applied physiology and game analysis of rugby union. Sports Med. 2003; 33(13):973-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200333130-00003. PMid:14606925.
3. Gabbett TJ. Science of rugby league football: a review. J Sports Sci. 2005 Sep;23(9):961-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02640410400023381. PMid:16195048.
4. Neres A. O rugby no Brasil. Maranhão: AMARU, 2011[cited 2013 Jan 22]. Available from: http://amaru. blog.com/o-rugby-no-brasil/.
5. Alves LM, Soares RP, Liebano RE. Incidência de lesões na prática do rúgbi amador no Brasil. Fisioter. Pesqui. [Internet]. 2008;15(2):131-5.
6. Comstock RD, Yard QE. Injuries sustained by rugby players presenting to united states emergency departments, 1978 through 2004. J Athl Train [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2013 May 10];3(41):325-31. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1569558/.
7. Kiefer T, Correa RAA, Lopes AC, Santos ES. Ocorrência de afastamento dos treinos por lesão em atletas de rugby. Rev. Cienc. Saude. 2009; Spec Nº:24.
8. Fuller CW, Sheerin K, Targett S. Rugby World Cup 2011: International Rugby Board Injury Surveillance Study. Auckland: University of Technology Private; 2013 [cited 2013 Sept 10]. Available from: www. irbplayerwelfare.com.
9. Fuller CW, Brooks JH, Cancea RJ, Hall J, Kemp SP. Contact events in rugby union and their propensity to cause injury. Br J Sports Med. 2007 Dec;41(12):862-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2007.037499. PMid:17513332.
10. Crichton J, Jones DR, Funk L. Mechanisms of traumatic shoulder injury in elite rugby players. Br J Sports Med. 2012 Jun;46(7):538-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2011-090688. PMid:22510645.
11. Bolton G, Moss SJ, Sparks M, Venter PC. Thoracic posture, shoulder muscle activation patterns and isokinetic strength of semi-professional rugby union players. S Afr J SM. 2013; 25(1):12-7.
12. Takarada Y. Avaliação da Lesão muscular após uma partida de rugby, com referência especial para situação do tackle. Sports Med. 2003; 47:416-9.
13. Lopes AL, Sant’Ana RT, Baroni BM, Cunha GS, Radaelli R, Oliveira AR, et al. Perfil antropométrico e fisiológico de atletas brasileiros de “rugby”. Rev Bras Educ. Fís. Esporte. 2011; 25(3):387-95.
14. Neves RBP, Venditti R Jr, Souza RA, Kocian RC, Pereira MC, Castelan LP, et al. Rugbi na Escola?!... Perspectivas de uma proposta diversificada, pautada na pedagogia do esporte para a educação física escolar do ensino fundamental. Colec. Pesqui. Educ. Fis. 2013; 12(4):127-34.