Effects of Kinesio Taping® in treatment of Cellulite: Randomized controlled blind trial.
Da Silva, Rodrigo Marcel V. da; Cavalcanti, Rafael Limeira; Rêgo, Ludmila Martins de F.; Nunes, Patricia Fonseca L.; Meyer, Patricia Froes
Introduction: Cellulite is caused by congestion of fluid in the interstitial space generating an edematous and fibrotic disorder. The Kinesio taping is a resource consisting of an elastic bandage, placed on the skin and represent a form of intervention in the treatment of lymphedema and help in the removal of accumulated fluid. Objective: The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of Kinesio Taping ® in patients with cellulite. Method: We analyzed 24 patients with cellulite in the gluteal region (grades I, II and III), selected conventionally in Natal / RN, Brazil. The volunteers were randomly divided into two subgroups of 12 individuals - a control group (CG) and a treatment group (GKT). Both the CG as the GKT were evaluated before and after the experiment, using a specific cellulite assessment protocol and photogrammetry. Only in GKT, four applications of the bandage were made once a week, in the gluteal region. Results: In the findings, there was a significant reduction of cellulite grade in the CG (p = 0.03) and GKT (p = 0.01). However, there were no changes in the other variables assessed by the protocol in the two groups. In photogrammetric analysis, there was a significant clinical improvement in GKT, in comparison between the initial and final evaluation. The treatment notes assigned by the photogrammetry evaluators were higher in GKT (p<0.01). Conclusion: It can be concluded that treatment with KT was able to significantly decrease the grade of cellulite, so that the variables evaluated by the protocol probably not influence this process.
1. Guirro ECO, Guirro RRJ. Fisioterapia Dermato-Funcional: Fundamentos, Recursos e Patologias. 3ª ed. São Paulo: Ed. Manole; 2004.
2. Valentim da Silva RM, Oliveira JS, Soares IJP, Delgado AM, Costa JS, Medeiros DC, et al. Correlação entre fibroedemagelóide e dosagem de estradiol. Catussaba.2012; 2(1):25-34.
3. Meyer PF, Lisboa FL, Alves MCR, Avelino MB. Desenvolvimento e aplicação de um protocolo de avaliação fisioterapêutica em pacientes com Fibro edema gelóide. Fisioter Mov. 2005;18(1):75-83.
4. Silva CF, Teixeira RM, Melo ACS, Meyer PF. Avaliação do interesse da comunidade científica em publicações de Fibro Edema Gelóide (Celulite) e Eletroporação. Fisioter Bras. 2006;3(1):1-5.
5. Mendonça KMPP, Meyer PF, Martins NM, Martins FM. Ressonância Magnética: um progresso na avaliação objetiva do Fibro Edema Gelóide. Fisioter Ser. 2007;2(4):266-268.
6. Godoy JMP, Groggia MY, Laks LF, Godoy MFG. Intensive treatment of cellulite based on physiopathological principles. Dermatol Res Pract. 2012;3:1-5.
7. Rossi ABR, Vergnanini AL. Cellulite: a review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2000;14:251-62.
8. Milani GB, João SMA, Farah, EA. Fundamentos da fisioterapia dermato-funcional: revisão de literatura. Fisioter pesqui. 2006; 13(1):37-43.
9. Meyer PF, Martins NM, Martins FM, Monteiro RA, Mendonça KMPP. Effects of lymphatic drainage on cellulitis assessed by magnetic resonance. Braz Arch Biol Technol. 2008;51:221-224.
10. Godoy JMP, Braile DM, Godoy MFG. Bandagem co-adesiva e de baixa elasticidade no tratamento do linfedema. Rev Angiol Cirurg Vasc. 2003; 12(3):87-89.
11. Branstiter G. The use of KinesioTape for the management of post-surgical scar tissue – a Case Study. In: American Society of Hand Therapists 31st Annual Meeting, Boston MA, 2008.
12. Chandia PY. Consideraciones generales sobre la técnica de tapinglinfático o vendaje neuromuscular. Linfologia: tratamiento transdisciplinar. 2009;43(15):22-29.
13. Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical therapeutic applications of the kinesio taping method. 2ª ed. Kinesio Taping Association; 2003.
14. Thelen MD, Dauber JA, Stoneman PD. The clinical efficacy of kinesio tape for shoulder pain: a randomized, double- Blinded, clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008;38(7):389-395.
15. González-Iglesias J, Fernandez-de-las-peñas C, Cleland J, Huijbregts P, Gutierrez-Vega MDR. Short-Term efects of cervical kinesio taping on pain and cervical range of motion in patients with acute whiplash injury: A randomized clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39(7):515-521.
16. Tsai H, Hung H, Yang J, Huang C, Tsauo J. Could Kinesio tape replace the bandage in descongestive lymphatic therapy for breast-cancer-related lymphedema? A pilot study. Support Care Cancer. 2009;17:207-215.
17. Bialoszeswski D, Wozniak W, Zarek S. Clinical Efficacy of Kinesiology Taping in reducing edema of the lower limbs in patients treated with the Ilizarov Method. Preliminary Report. Ortop, Traumat Reabilit. 2009;11(1):50-59.
18. Mendonça MAS, Pádual M, Ribeiro AP, Milani, GB, João SMA. Confiabilidade e interexaminadores da fotogrametria na classificação do grau de lipodistrofia ginóide em mulheres assintomáticas. Fisioter Pesqui. 2009;16(2):102- 106.
19. Kase K, Stockheimer KR. Kinesio Taping for lymphoedema and chronic swelling. 2ª ed. Kinesio USA, LLC; 2006.
20. Kase K, Tatsuyuki H, Tomoko O. Development of kinesio tape. Kinesio taping perfect manual. Kinesio Taping Association; 1996.